Sunday, February 21, 2010

Talking points 2 Rodreguiez

While reading this blog i can see this happening in every urban city across the United States and it is still turning for the worst. Teachers don't have the time and patience to teach children English if they only know Spanish. Only ESL teachers should be responsible for teaching children/students English. When students from a different country enter a English speaking classroom for the first time, it becomes very hard if the student can't speak English at all. So I think the teacher should have some patience when it comes to that for the first time, but as the school year goes on, hopefully the student can adapt and understand what is being said in the classroom, and can read directions on homework assignments.

Just to use this for an example, my mother has been working in the Providence school system for a few years now, and I always here all or most of these similar stories. Whenever she comes into a problem with a person who doesn't know how to speak English, she is at a terrible loss because she was never able to help them. I found it funny because a couple of times she relied on a couple of srudents in her classroom to help her out. Once she figured out what they were trying to say it became much easier.

I think another thing there is to blame is what language is spoken at their homes. If a student comes from a Spanish, French, Italian, etc. They are going to be speaking that in their classrooms, to other students, and administrators. In a way there is nothing they can do about it except try to learn the language spoken in different cultures.



Some of the quotes I liked in this article were

1 "it would have pleased me to hear my teachers address me
in Spanish when I entered the classroom"

This quote means just what I stated above about teachers speaking English in the classroom. Because she didn't speak English yet she was going to have difficulty while learning information in that classroom.

2. "At first, it seemed a kind of game. After dinner each night. the family gathered
to practice 'our' English."

I see this quote as a great improvement for every Spanish speaking person that lives in America because they are learning to adapt to there culture.

3 "At last, seven years old, I came to believe what had been technically true since my birth: I was an American citizen.
But the special feeling of closeness at home was diminished by then."

I can see where the author is coming from here but it shouldn't change. Once a person can comprehend English, they should be able to speak it outside of there homes without a problem. When they are with there families it shouldn't matter what they do inside the privacy of their own homes.

I think if students could learn English when coming to America it would have less stress on the student, their parents, and there teacher. I know it would be hard at first, but that is why there are so many resources out there to help children, and older adults to speak English.

No comments: